Our History

TED_4111TED_4200TM2_5612 - CopyTED_4092

1834

Foundations

Laying of foundation stone of convent.

1838

Primary Education

Sisters become involved in primary education at the then local primary school run by lay principal.

1840

Secondary School Opens

Secondary School was opened in a room in the convent (Pay School).

1855

Closure of Fever Hospital

Fever hospital closed and the building handed over to the sisters with proviso that if an epidemic broke out it would be available as a hospital again.

1894

New Secondary School

A new secondary school was built consisting of two class rooms which were on the campus of the fever hospital which had been built by the state in 1836.

1965

Old Fever Hospital

The old fever hospital was condemned and a new infant school was opened in 1965. The secondary school renovated the building and used it for class.

1970-1975

Two New Blocks

Between 1970 and 1975 two new blocks were added to the already existing secondary school building as an assembly hall, which is our circulation area and lunch room to this day.

1992

New School Negotiations

Negotiations for a new school were initiated with the Dept of Education.

2000

New School Opens

In November 2000 a new school, on the same site was officially opened by the Minister Michéal Martin and blessed by Bishop John Magee of Cloyne Diocese.