Student Council Constitution
What is a Student Council?
A student council is a representative structure for students only, through which they can become involved in
the affairs of the school working in partnership with school management, staff and parents for the benefit of the
school and its students.
The Role of the Student Council
- To enhance communication between students, management, parents and staff.
- To allow students to develop communication and leadership skills and develop a sense of responsibility.
- To promote a friendly positive environment in the school which is conducive to learning.
- To represent the views of the students.
- To contribute to the development of the school by being involved in school policy development.
Objectives of the Student Council.
- To represent the entire student body.
- To maintain good staff/student relations.
- To maintain a friendly atmosphere in the school.
- To create a safe learning environment for all.
- To be approachable to all students.
- To be involved in fundraising and extra curricular activities.
Members of the Student Council
Each class will elect one prefect to represent them on the student council plus the two head girls. International
students may also be asked to elect a member to represent them on the student council.
- Class tutors will hold elections with their tutor group.
- Students should be aware when electing the prefects that she will also represent them on the council.
- The duties and responsibilities of a student council member should be outlined to students beforevoting takes place.
- Voting will be by secret ballot.
Lifespan of the Student Council
The student council will run from approx. 1st October to 30th of September of the next academic year.
Officers of the Student Council
- The members of the student council will elect the following officers:
- Chairperson (should be a senior student)
- Deputy Chairperson
- Public Relations Officer
These positions will be filled by secret ballot.
- Responsible for presiding over meetings.
- Prepares the agenda for each meeting with the help of the Secretary.
- Signs the minutes of the meeting.
- Responsible for assisting the Chairperson.
- Assumes the role of Chairperson if she is absent from a meeting.
- Helps the Chairperson prepare the agenda for each meeting.
- Places the agenda on the Student Council notice board.
- Keeps a record of council meetings (the minutes).
- Responsible for managing any funds raised by the Student Council.
Public Relations Officer
- Responsible for publicising Student Council activities.
- Responsible for maintaining the Student Council notice board.
The Student Council may form sub committees if the need arises.
Activities not in the remit of the Student Council
- Complaints about teachers.
- Complaints about school rules.
- Organising meetings without teachers present and informed.
Meetings of the entire student council will take place on average once a month. It may be necessary for the committee members to meet more frequently.
A designated liaison teacher must be present at all meetings.
An agenda should be placed on the notice board before all meetings.
At least 60% of council members have to attend before a decision is taken.
The Secretary must record the minutes of each meeting.
Members must report back to their classes on items discussed at the meeting during designated classes. (SPHE classes at Junior Cycle and Assemblies at Senior Cycle)
Changes to the Constitution
No changes can be made to the Constitution without the approval of the Principal and the BOM.
Removal of a member of the Student Council
If am member misses three meetings without a valid reason they will forfeit their position on the student council.
All members of the student council will be asked to sign a contract in which they agree to represent their class and abide by the school rules. Any student guilty of a major breach of the school rules may be removed from the student council by the school authorities.
Students guilty of a minor breach may be removed at the second offence.
Student Council Officers
Chairperson: Katie Browne
Secretary: Erin Quealey
PRO: Sarah Relihan
Student Council 2015/2016
1A – Emma Kerins
1B – Caitlin O’ Brien
1C – Erin Quealey
2A – Marianne O’ Dwyer
2B – Elena Walsh O’ Brien
2C – Eva Murphy
3A – Anna Ischenko
3B – Rachel Lynch
3C – Laura Mortell
4A – Zara White
4B – Megan O’ Regan
4C – Kate Lyons
5A – Lorna Cagney
5B – Mary Clare Carroll
5C – Tanya McNamara
6A – Ellen Dolan
6B – Sarah Relihan
6C – Katie Browne
Head Girls – Helena Walshe – Kayleigh Hehir
International Student’s Representative – Dominika Kotowska